Each week or so, the three of us are going to post some random lists of favorites from our daily lives. It might be links to recipes we want to try, products we love, articles we want to share, snapshots of our week. The sky’s the limit! 😉 Hope you enjoy!
- Autumn has been in the air this week here in west Tennessee! Ahhh!!! I have pulled my little table out to our side porch a couple of times to work on the blog in this glorious, breezy weather. Auggie is also a big fan of spending time on the porch. If we had our way, this weather would last for six months out of the year!
- I’m obsessed with peaches lately. I have bought Flippen’s peaches the past two Saturdays at our Jackson farmer’s market and I’ve eaten one every day. I’m so glad God made peaches. They also pair well with blueberries in, well, everything. If you’ve never had a fresh peach and blueberry crisp, you are MISSING OUT. It’s the best crisp in my opinion. 😉
- Speaking of food, if you didn’t take me seriously about that Magic Green Sauce last week…believe me, you need that sauce in your life. It’s like guacamole…but BETTER. It actually reminds Jeremy and me of our favorite jalapeño ranch dip, but it has no dairy! (Which is one of the things I’m avoiding for health reasons, even though the 21 Day Fix allows certain forms of dairy.) It has all good fats – avocado, olive oil, pistachios. Annnnnd I’m about to make it for the third time today. 😉 We ate it with baked chicken and vegetables last week; this week we’ve dipped southwestern chicken burritos in it. It would be fantastic with carrot sticks or chips or thinned out to use as a salad dressing. If loving Magic Green Sauce is wrong, I don’t wanna be right. =) Click on those links, y’all. Make it and love it.
- I need a desk. Like a real desk, at the right height for typing. I’m imagining a wooden desk (not too heavy, though) and painting it with some fun chalk paint. Something like this maybe: Desk Makeover with Chalk Paint. But I’m at a loss of where to find one at the moment. I don’t want to pay too much. Guess I need to go yard sale-ing!
- Next year, promise me you’ll plant some zinnias. They will make you smile every day, they make easy and long-lasting bouquets, and the butterflies looove them! =)
- I made a new recipe for our Sunday class get-together last weekend. It was a huge hit and I’ve been craving them every day since! These Buffalo Chicken Tortilla Pinwheels are decidedly not dairy-free, but they were the perfect treat. Highly recommended. =) Might make them again for another get-together this weekend!
- Eyebrows are important. I usually stop and marvel at this after I’ve filled in one eyebrow. This time I took a picture. Why do our eyebrows have to thin out when we get older?? Also, I’m noticing that I wear this shirt a lot…it’s comfortable, doesn’t need to be ironed, and looks dressier than a regular Tshirt. Obviously I need one in every color. Too bad this shirt is, like, 5 years old.
- I have a really helpful tip should you decide to go clothes shopping less than two weeks after you’ve had a baby. DON’T! Give yourself a big ol’ dose of grace and keep wearing those three outfits that fit with your head held high. People will only be looking at your fresh new bundle of sweetness anyway. If they’re not, they should be. I went shopping with my mom last night (her last night in town) and had a ball despite the many ill-fitting clothing rejects. And I found these cute sandals on sale for $2.40 (Booyah!) Shoes always fit =)
- Listen up, y’all. You need to sign up for free newsletters from A Legacy of Faith. They post all kinds of helpful, encouraging, and challenging articles about parenting, Christian living, modern struggles, marriage and more. This week, Adam Faughn posted a really great video about a family devotional idea he and his wife shared with their two children based on Jeremiah 31:33. Click here to check it out.
- This week my little Half Pint turned two. And she is very much acting two years old as of late. I read a great article today about how rather than referring to this stage as “The Terrible Twos” (and they really can seem terrible), choose instead to think of it as “The Boundaries Stage”. Testing the boundaries and trying to understand what is and what is not acceptable is completely normal and healthy. She’s not a bad kid and I’m not a bad mama. We’ll get through it together with time and consistency.
- Speaking of Half Pint’s birthday… We chose to have a small family celebration this year since my folks were in town and, um, we just had another baby! We had my cousin and her new husband over, they brought some out of this world real deal lasagna, and after dinner we ate strawberry cake that Pickle Pants helped me decorate. We went for a funky floral design.
- My parents are leaving at noon today. I’m skeeered! Mom of three, time to fly solo, sink or swim. I think I’ve got this, but there will no doubt be some hiding in the closet eating chocolate going on.
- Newborns are awesome. So are people who can pose them and photograph them. My friend Sarah of Sarah Linnea Photography came over last Saturday and did a lifestyle newborn session with Man Cub and the girls. She spent at least 20-30 minutes patiently working with him to get this sweet shot. She definitely chose the right career! Ahhh, those sweet little lips!
I hoard perfumes and body sprays. Which is fine and dandy until you’re faced with packing all of your earthly possessions into a metal box to be shipped to South America and they’re considered flammable. When EJ was born I pretty much stopped wearing any and all lotions and perfumes. In my fresh mommyness I was just 100% sure that her delicate skin shouldn’t be rubbing up on such chemicals. (But seven month old skin is tough, right??) So, now that I’ve rediscovered my perfumes it’s time to go! Needless to say, my supply has been whittled down. Don’t even get me started on my fingernail polishes. Ugh.
I’ve found my spirit salad! Panera’s Fuji Apple Chicken. Everything about this salad is perfect. I mean, hello, white balsamic fuji apple vinaigrette! I miiiiiight have had one for lunch and dinner the same the day. #yolo Go get you some.
Carter’s just wrapped up another one of their great sales…60% off. We’re trying to make sure we’re stocked up on at least 18 and 24 month clothes for EJ before we head southward. Monday was the last day of the sale and Kevin said that if I got the living room looking spotless that I could buy some things. Score! Before everyone goes off thinking that I’m an awful housekeeper and I have to be bribed by my husband to clean, remember that we’re in the middle of an international move and things are getting a little…complicated around our apartment. We needed to reign in it some. But, yeah, basically he bribed me with shopping. I’m shocked it took him this long to figure out he could do this! 😉
Speaking of perfumes, I really hope I don’t regret the decision to pack my travel perfumes in the pouch with my toothbrush.
I CAN MAKE BUTTON HOLES!!!!!!!!!!!! I made a dress for EJ a little while back, but stalled out because I didn’t know how to make button holes. Luckily, a sweet friend at church walked me through the process and we quickly figured out what I was doing wrong. And get this…when I took my machine over to her house, I forgot the POWER CORD. And she taught me anyway! She’s that good! 😉